Saturday, July 7, 2012

Collage Quilt




 This quilt was made as a bedspread for my room, which I had just painted bright green. It's a collage quilt, and incorporates things that belonged to my mother in law.  My mother in law lived with me for the last year of her life.   The piece of embroidery, with parrots, was hers,  but she never got around to telling me its history, so I don't know where it came from.  The crocheted pineapples were in a box of doilies she had.  Someone had attempted to join them into a tablecloth, but had given up.  I picked off their work, and appliqued the pineapples to blocks using lots and lots of invisible thread.  The corner blocks were experiments, and a couple of the blocks were from a quilt block class at a local fabric store.  There is also one big green and white doily block, tied down like the crocheted pineapples.  At the top of the quilt is a panel of reverse applique, which says 'a stitch in time'.  This was just enough reverse applique to let me know that I don't like to do reverse applique.  J.






No comments:

Post a Comment