Saturday, July 7, 2012

Tomato Quilt



This quilt requires some explanation.  The tomato panels (front and back) were meant to be sewn together to make a tomato-shaped pillow.  I suspect it’s an evil remnant of the unlamented earth-child movement of the late sixties, or something equally ominous.  And for the record, I did not buy it.  It was given to me.  I attract ugly fabric like black polyester pants do cat hair.  Whenever anybody hears that I do quilts, they always bring up the subject of that unfinished quilt their mother started, or their grandma’s fabric stash of outdated prints.  Somehow these orphan fabrics end up on my doorstep.  I’m a sucker for free fabric.  And I can’t resist the challenge of somehow finding out how to work these underappreciated gems into a quilt.  (To get them out of my stash, if nothing else.) 
So, here I was with the front and back side of a tomato, plus a whole lot of that instant-quilt kind of fabric that looks like appliquéd blocks.  So I thought, what the heck!   Maybe all this wonderful, over-the-hill,  country- (shudder) -style fabric can find a home together!  And I can be rid of it once and for all!
So here it is.  A tomato quilt surrounded by fake appliquéd blocks with cute little chickens and sunbonnet girls. 
Now all I have to do is find some sucker to foist it off on.    J.

No comments:

Post a Comment